This chickpea salad is a lighter (and vegetarian) take on chicken salad and is largely inspired by a version my sister made this summer. Her salad used just a touch of mayo for the base and had the usual suspects of chicken salad, much like this one.
For my rendition I decided to swap the mayonnaise base with mashed avocado, which offers just as much — if not more — creaminess and of course, healthy fats. Then Greek yogurt is added for some tang along with white wine vinegar for acidity. Tossed with a mix of tender chickpeas, crunchy celery, red onion, and fresh parsley this super-simple salad comes together in no time.
Such a simple ingredient list may cause this salad to look mundane, yet it’s anything but that, striking the perfect balance between textures and flavors. Refreshing and healthy, this creamy salad is one you can feel good about. Delicious as is, it’s also great in lettuce cups, wraps, or salads.
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (0% or 2%)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, mash avocado until smooth. Whisk in yogurt, vinegar, salt, and garlic powder; season with black pepper.
- Add chickpeas, celery, onion, and parsley to avocado mixture. Stir to combine then chill until ready to serve.
- Keeps up to 4 days refrigerated in an airtight container.