Naturally sweetened, this brightly colored cranberry curd is wonderfully tart and packed with flavor from orange, honey, and pink peppercorn.
The first of a three-part series here on Zestful Kitchen, this festive Cranberry Curd will make two more appearances in a couple of incredibly delicious and timely recipes.
The vibrant hue of this Cranberry Curd offers insight into how incredibly flavorful it is. The balance of flavors makes it ideal for both sweet and savory applications—perfect for this time of year filled with an abundance of decadent treats and one-bite appetizers. Aside from the appetizer and dessert recipes to come, this curd can be used in any application that you would normally use lemon curd. Plus check out some creative ideas below the recipe!
- 1 bag frozen cranberries (12 ounces)
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (from 2 oranges)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns (optional)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- Cook cranberries, orange juice, water, zest, and peppercorns in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until cranberries burst, about 15 minutes. Transfer cranberry mixture to a food processor and puree.
- Strain cranberry mixture through a fine mesh sieve back into saucepan with honey, butter and salt; discard solids. Cook mixture over medium heat until butter is melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk together egg yolks and egg in a large bowl. Gradually whisk cranberry mixture into egg mixture, transfer back to saucepan over low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats back of spoon, about 8 minutes. Off heat, stir in liqueur then strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap on surface of curd and refrigerate until completely chilled.
This recipe can easily be doubled.
10 Creative Ways to Use Cranberry Curd
Tarts & Pies
- Swap out classic lemon curd
- A creative take on a classic treat
Appetizer crostini with whipped herbed ricotta
Slather on flaky biscuits
Serve with scones
Drizzle on pancakes
- Warm up the curd and drizzle over pancakes
Swirl into a yogurt parfait
- Stir into greek yogurt for a sweet-tart addition
- Stir into morning oatmeal for a bright and flavorful change of pace
- Pack some curd in a small, resealable jar and give it to friends and family along with a bakery baguette or simple shortbread cookies.