This 4-ingredient salmon dinner will change the weeknight dinner game for you. Brushed with a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze and grilled to flaky perfection, this salmon is sure to please. Serve with simple grilled asparagus and some crusty whole-grain bread to make it a full menu.
- 4 wild-caught salmon fillets, 1-inch-thick (about 6 ounces each)*
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Vegetable oil for brushing grill grate
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic glaze, such as Filippo Berio
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- Crusty whole-grain seeded bread for serving
Heat grill for direct cooking over high, 450ºF–550°F (232ºC–288ºC). Brush grill grate clean and close lid to heat.
Generously coat all sides of salmon fillets with 1 ½ tablespoons oil and season tops generously with salt and pepper. Toss asparagus with remaining ½ tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
Brush grill grate with oil.
Place salmon, top side down, and asparagus on grill grate, close lid, keeping temperature around 500ºF (260ºC). Cook salmon until ⅔ of the fillets are lighter in color, they’re becoming firm to touch, and they easily release from the grate, 4–6 minutes. Cook asparagus until charred and fork-tender, 6 minutes, turning halfway through.
Transfer asparagus to a platter. Flip fillets and generously brush tops of fillets with glaze, close lid and continue to cook until a thermometer inserted in the centers registers 130ºF (54ºC) for medium-rare, 2 minutes. (Cook to 145ºF for medium to well done) Transfer fillets to platter with asparagus.
Serve salmon with additional balsamic glaze and some crusty bread with good olive oil for dipping.
* you can use skinless or skin-on, either works great but I find skinless is easier to cook on the grill. Check out the post above for more details on why.
- Serving Size: 1 salmon fillet + 1/4 of the asparagus
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 5.5g
- Sodium: 104mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 47g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
Keywords: balsamic glazed salmon, glazed salmon, grilled salmon