All the flavors of banana bread featured in a warm, cozy bowl of oatmeal. This creamy banana oatmeal is the ultimate meal to start off your day!
- 2 large ripe bananas, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Pinch each nutmeg and ginger, optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- Chopped toasted pecans, optional
Mash 1 banana in a small bowl and slice second banana into ½-inch thick slices.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup and cook, stirring occasionally until mixture bubbles and starts to turn dark amber brown, about 1 ½ minutes. Add mashed banana and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Stir in milk, oats, cinnamon, salt, ginger and nutmeg, if using. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
Stir in 2 tablespoons water and vanilla, cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons maple syrup in a skillet over medium-high until bubbly and starting to turn golden brown. Add banana slices in a single layer, reduce heat to medium, and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 3 minutes per side.
Divide oatmeal between 2 bowls, top with caramelized bananas, pecans, and additional maple syrup, if desired.
- Serving Size: ½ recipe
- Calories: 417
- Sugar: 38g
- Sodium: 85mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Keywords: Banana Oatmeal, Banana bread oatmeal, almond milk oatmeal