Creamy, vibrantly colored, and packed with veggies, this Carrot Risotto is as delicious as it is gorgeous!
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable Stock
- 1 bottle carrot juice (15.2-ounce), or 2 cups
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups dry Arborio rice (10¼ ounces)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Pinch fresh nutmeg
- 1 green apple, julienned, for garnish
- Parsley, for garnish
Bring stock, carrot juice, and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cover and keep warm over low.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium. Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, 4–5 minutes. Add peas and cook to heat through, 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil and remaining tablespoon butter in same pot over medium. Add onion and rosemary and cook until softened, 5 minutes season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until grains are slightly translucent and milky in color, 3 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
Stir 1 cup warm stock-carrot juice mixture into rice, and cook, stirring constantly until liquid has been absorbed, 1–2 minutes. Repeat adding 1 cup stock mixture to rice and cooking until liquid has absorbed. Continue adding and stirring until all of the stock mixture has been used and the rice is creamy but al dente.
Reduce heat to low and stir in reserved vegetables, Parmesan and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve risotto with additional Parmesan, green apple and parsley.
To make this recipe vegan:
- Replace the 2 tablespoons of butter with olive oil and leave Parmesan out.
- Optional: you can use nutritional yeast in place of the Parmesan.
Equipment you’ll need:
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Calories: 516
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 218mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 78g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
Keywords: Healthy Risotto, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian