A creamy and cozy cauliflower au gratin. Flavored with Gruyère, Parmesan, and fresh thyme, it's simple yet spectacular.
- 1 large head cauliflower (2-2 ½ pounds), cut into 1-inch florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or regular whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk, warmed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère (2 ounces)
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan (2 ounces), divided
- ½ cup whole-wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218ºC). Coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large glass bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water and ¼ teaspoon salt; toss to coat then place a large dinner plate over top (or cover tightly with a piece of plastic wrap). Microwave for 2 minutes, stir and continue to microwave in 1 minute intervals until crisp-tender, about 4–5 minutes total*. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk until thickened, 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in Gruyère and ¼ cup Parmesan, then stir in cauliflower until completely coated; transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Combine melted butter with Panko, remaining ¼ cup Parmesan, and thyme; season with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over gratin.
- Bake until crumbs are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, 25–30 minutes. Let gratin rest 10 minutes.
- If you do not want to microwave the cauli, you can blanch it. Cook cauliflower in a pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 2–3 minutes; drain.
- This recipe is adapted from a recipe I originally developed for Cuisine at Home Magazine
- The microwave time will largely depend on how powerful your microwave is. Check the tenderness of the cauliflower every minute or so to ensure it isn’t getting over-steamed.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
Keywords: Cauliflower au gratin, Cauliflower gratin recipe