This simple recipe is a great go-to side dish. Savory, full of charred umami flavor, and totally versatile. Serve with pork chops, corned beef, burgers, tofu and more.
- 1 small red or green cabbage
- 2–3 tablespoons avocado oil or high heat oil
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt
- Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cabbage in half, top to bottom. Then lay cut-side down and slice crosswise into ½- to ¾-inch planks.
- Decrease heat to medium, add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and swirl to coat, place about 4 cabbage planks in an even layer in skillet. Cook, without moving, until charred on the first side, about 5 minutes; season with salt, flip and continue to cook until charred on second side, 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to a platter or shallow bowl and repeat process with remaining oil and cabbage.
- Season with salt to taste. Optional, season with pepper to taste.
It’s important to use a high-heat cooking oil here. I recommend avocado oil, though safflower, soybean or sunflower oil will also work.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 43
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 496mg
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: charred cabbage, fried cabbage