The ultimate chewy, spice cookie featuring a crunchy sugary coating.
- 14 tablespoons (200g) unsalted butter (1 ¾ sticks)
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (300g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ⅔ cups (356g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt + more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup turbinado, demerara sugar or white sugar, for rolling
- Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 2–3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl with remaining 4 tablespoons butter, instant espresso and cardamom. Stir to combine and melt butter; set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350ºF (176ºC). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add brown sugar, orange zest, and salt to bowl with cooled butter; whisk until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
- Add egg, yolk, and vanilla and whisk until fully incorporated and pale in color, about 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, then add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Give dough a final stir with rubber spatula to ensure no flour pockets remain.
- In a shallow bowl or plate combine turbinado and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Using ¼ cup measure (#16 scoop, 2-ounce scoop, or 65-70 grams per ball), scoop dough and roll into balls. Working in batches, toss dough balls in turbinado sugar mixture and roll to coat; transfer 5 dough balls to prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2–3 inches apart.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until cookies are still puffy and edges have just begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), 11–12 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Do not overbake.
- Repeat rolling, coating and baking with remaining cookie dough.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Less-sweet cookie: don’t love super sweet cookies? Skip rolling the dough balls in the turbinado sugar and bake as directed. The result will be a super chewy cookie without any crunchy coating!
Orange Cardamom Cookies: skip rolling the dough balls in turbinado sugar and instead drizzle the baked cookies with a glaze. For the glaze, whisk together confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), orange juice and a pinch of salt.
Storing Cookies: these chewy cardamom cookies should be stored in an airtight container or resealable zipper-lock bag. They’re best within the first 2 days of baking. After 2 days I recommend placing a slice of sandwich bread in the bag or container to maintain moisture and chewiness.
To freeze the cookies: stack the cookies, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and transfer to a zipper-lock bag; freeze for up to 1 month.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 194mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
Keywords: cardamom cookies, orange cardamom cookies, cardamom cookie recipe