Creamy, cozy and loaded with flavor, this Coconut Curry Sweet Potato Soup is the ultimate weeknight dinner for cold weather. Even better, it's ready in just 30 ingredients with a humble list of ingredients.
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 cups)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk or 3 ½ cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, Swiss chard or collard greens, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces (about 9 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Lime wedges
- Cook pork in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until crumbled and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer pork to a bowl; reserve drippings in pot. (If drippings don’t measure about 1 tablespoon, add a bit of olive or coconut oil).
- Heat drippings over medium heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon kosher salt; cook over medium until softened and translucent, 5–8 minutes. Stir in garlic, curry powder and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and cook 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and 3 cups water; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer over medium and cook until potatoes are nearly tender, 8–10 minutes.
- Stir in Swiss chard, chickpeas and reserved pork; cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Top servings with yogurt, cilantro and additional red pepper flakes, optional.
Coconut milk: I have not tested this with light coconut milk, it will be less creamy but should work just fine. For a lighter yet still very creamy option, I often like to use 1 can coconut milk and 1 ¾ cup whole milk.
If you have chicken stock and want to use it, go ahead! Use it in place of the water.
- Serving Size: scant 2 cups
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 1850
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
Keywords: Sweet potato kale soup, Coconut curry soup, curry soup, Sweet potato curry soup