Light, healthy and packed with nutrients, this simple vegan soup will surprise you with how flavorful it is! Even better, it serves a whole crew!
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced (fronds reserved)
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or 2 teaspoons dried)*
- 2 cans diced tomatoes in juice (28 ounces each)
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bag chopped Tuscan kale (10-ounces)**
- 1 can chickpeas (15.5 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio balsamic vinegar
Add fennel, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in oregano and cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes with their juices and broth, bring soup to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in kale, simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas and vinegar and simmer 5 minutes. Season soup with additional salt, pepper flakes, and vinegar to taste.
Drizzle servings with olive oil and top with chopped fennel fronds (optional).
* Don’t have oregano? Rosemary or thyme will also work.
** Can't find Tuscan kale? It's often labeled Dinosaur or Lacinato kale as well. However, regular curly-leaf kale will work just fine!
Serve over rice for a heartier stew-like dish.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers in a saucepan over medium-low heat or individual servings in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Add additional water to thin as needed.
Keywords: Detox Soup, vegetarian detox soup, detox soup with kale, detox soup with beans