One of my favorite soup recipes, this broccoli cheese and potato soup is easy to make, healthy, cozy and satisfying. The croutons are optional, but they add a lovely crunchy and cheesiness to the creamy soup!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds broccoli with stalks, divided
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups spinach, optional
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups), divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices hearty whole-grain bread
- 4 teaspoons everything spice blend, optional
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine, then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook onions until starting to soften about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep broccoli by trimming and discarding tough stalks ends. Using a vegetable peeler, shave off outer skin of broccoli stalks. Cut stalks into 1-inch pieces. Prep broccoli florets by trimming as much of the stalk from the floret as possible; cut stalk pieces into 1-inch chunks.
- Roughly chop broccoli florets and set aside.
- Add potato, broccoli stalks, 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to pot with onions. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer over medium. Cover and cook until broccoli and potato are tender and a knife easily slides in and out of them; 15–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler to high with rack set 6-inches from element. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Flip bread and top each slice with ¼ cup chopped broccoli florets, ¼ cup shredded Cheddar and 1 teaspoon Everything Spice, if using. Broil toasts until cheese is melted and bubbly, 2–3 minutes.
- Add remaining broccoli florets and 2 cups spinach to pot with soft broccoli stalks and potato; cook 3 minutes. Blend soup until very smooth using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.
- (If using a blender, do not overfill or go past the max fill line on your blender. Transfer blended soup to a large heat-proof bowl while blending remaining soup in batches. Transfer blended soup back to pot.)
- Heat soup over medium and stir in remaining 1 cup shredded Cheddar by handful until smooth. Stir in Dijon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut cheesy bread into chunks. Top each bowl of soup with a cheesy croutons and any frico that formed on the backing sheet (melted and cooled cheese pools). Finish with cracked black pepper and olive oil, if desired.
Gluten-Free: the soup itself is gluten-free. To keep the entire dish GF, skip the croutons or use certified gluten-free bread inplace of the whole-grain bread.
- Serving Size: 2 cups soup + 1 full cheesy toast
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 1290mg
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
Keywords: broccoli potato cheese soup, healthy broccoli cheddar potato soup, broccoli and potato soup, creamy broccoli soup