Tender, moist and incredibly flavorful, this delicious carrot bread recipe is a must-try!
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (8¼ ounces; 232 grams)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon each chopped pecans and turbinado sugar (optional)
Heat oven to 350°F.
Coat a 8½ × 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides; coat paper with nonstick spray.
Whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly, until butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 1–3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to a large bowl, scraping any brown solids at the bottom of the pan into the bowl, and let cool slightly.
Add honey, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla to brown butter and whisk until smooth; stir in carrots and pecans.
Add the flour mixture butter mixture and mix just until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped pecans and turbinado sugar, if using. Bake carrot bread until top is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45–50 minutes, rotating halfway through baking.
Let carrot bread cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Turn bread out and let cool completely on wire rack.
Make carrot bread muffins:
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners; divide batter between muffin cups.
- Bake muffins until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centers come out clean; 18 minutes.
- Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 219mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
Keywords: Carrot Bread, Carrot Bread Recipe, Healthy Carrot Bread