Fresh and healthy, this summer farro salad with zucchini is packed with flavor from fresh herbs and sweet crispy apples!
- 1 ½ cups dry farro (10 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon each cayenne pepper and kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (2 cups)
- 1 medium Braeburn or Honeycrisp apple, diced
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
Cook farro according to package directions; drain and reserve any remaining cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper in a large bowl for the vinaigrette. Add zucchini, apple and scallions to vinaigrette.
Add farro to bowl with zucchini mixture and toss to combine. Add cooking liquid, by tablespoon, until desired “sauciness” is reached.
Stir in basil and tarragon; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve cold or at room temperature, keeps refrigerated for up to a week.
If you’re short on time, use Trader Joe’s 10-Minute Farro, it’s almost as tender and chewy as regular pearled farro, but cooks in a fraction of the time.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Summer side dish, zucchini salad, farro salad