An herbaceous kale and sorghum salad that’s packed with fresh summer produce. Easy to make and incredibly versatile, add this salad to your weekly meal prep for lunches and dinners. Make it a full meal by adding some grilled chicken or fish.
- ½ cup pearled sorghum
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- ½ teaspoon anchovy paste
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon minced lemon zest
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups roughly torn lacinato kale
- 1 cup halved and thinly sliced mini cucumbers (or English)
- 1 cup halved yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup white beans (Great Northern, Cannellini, or Garbanzo)
- 1 cup diced marinated or regular feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Toast sorghum in a saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add 2 cups water to saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer over medium-low, cover and cook until grains are tender and liquid is nearly absorbed 35–40 minutes; drain if needed. Stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar; set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar, oil, shallots, anchovy paste, Dijon, honey, and lemon zest in a large bowl for the vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper.
Add sorghum, kale, cucumber, tomatoes, beans, feta, basil, and parsley to bowl with vinaigrette; toss to coat.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Large bowl
Make ahead tips:
Salad can be made completely within a couple hours of serving. When making a day or so in advance, prepare salad as directed without adding tomatoes or tossing with vinaigrette. Refrigerate until ready to finish salad and serve. When ready to serve, add tomatoes and toss salad with vinaigrette.
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 512mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
Keywords: sorghum salad, sorghum recipe