A creamy, cozy, full-flavored mushroom soup featuring paprika, dill and sour cream. Delicious with a chunk of crusty baguette!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds mixed mushrooms*, trimmed and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (or sorghum flour for gluten-free)
- 4 teaspoons sweet mild paprika**
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups 2% milk
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- ½ cup chopped parsley
Transfer onions and mushrooms to a bowl.
Add butter to now empty pot and let melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour, paprika, dill, salt, and pepper and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Deglaze pan with wine, whisking, until evaporated.
Whisk broth in by increments, allowing flour mixture to adequately dissolve into broth before adding more. Stir in soy sauce and reserved mushroom mixture. Bring soup to a simmer and cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
Whisk in milk and sour cream, bring soup back to a simmer then stir in vinegar. Off heat, add parsley and season with pepper to taste.
*I like to use a mixture of whatever mushrooms I can find! Here I used a mixture of cremini, shiitake, oyster and white beech. You can use all of one kind or a mixture of whatever you like best. If you aren’t sure what you like, try a mix of cremini and white button, these are the most common type of mushrooms and also the most mild in flavor.
** I like to use a mixture of regular paprika and smoked paprika. I use 3 teaspoons regular and 1 teaspoon smoked.
- Serving Size: ~ 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 975mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Keywords: Hungarian mushroom soup, mushroom soup, creamy mushroom soup, vegetarian mushroom soup, gluten free mushroom soup