A silky aromatic sauce nicely coats juicy charred pieces of yogurt-marinated lamb which then gets spooned over rice and finished with cilantro and naan bread. Cozy and comforting in a bowl!
- 2 tablespoons garam masala, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless American lamb leg sirloin or shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 serrano, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice or basmati rice and/or naan bread
- Cilantro or mint for serving
Combine 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cumin, coriander, and pepper in a 1-gallon zipper-lock bag. Toss the spices around to combine. Add lamb and shake to coat. Add yogurt, seal bag, and massage meat to coat. Transfer bag to refrigerator and marinate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
Heat oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium. Add onion and remaining teaspoon salt and cook until softened and starting to brown, 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, serrano, and ginger; cook stirring frequently until onions are softened and golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon garam masala, remaining teaspoon cumin, and cardamom; cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them (or use your kitchen shears to cut them in the can). Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until thickened and deepened in color, 15–20 minutes. Add coconut milk and simmer until thickened, 5–7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oven to broil (high) with rack set in upper middle position Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet. Arrange lamb on rack in a single layer (don’t scrape marinade off). Broil lamb until starting to char, 10–12 minutes.
Add lamb to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve with rice, cilantro, and naan if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe and rice
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 909mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Keywords: Lamb Tikka Masala, Tikka Masala