A quick and easy homemade chicken noodle soup. Loaded with flavor, you’d never know this healthy chicken soup recipe takes just 30 minutes start to finish. No doubt, this will leave you satisfied and feeling good!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound 85–96% lean ground chicken*
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (1 ¾ cups)
- 3 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and sliced ½-inch thick (1 cup)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth, stock or bone broth
- 6 ounces dry whole wheat rotini or penne (2 cups)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3–4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill + more for serving
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken, garlic, coriander, celery seeds, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until crumbled into large chunks and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a small bowl; set aside and reserve drippings in pot (some garlic pieces in the pot are OK).
- Add carrot, celery and onion to drippings, season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-high.
- Set a colander in the pot, resting the handles on the pot’s edge so bowl of colander is submerged in soup. Stir in pasta and cook, according to package directions, until al dente.
- Using dry kitchen towels or pot holders, carefully lift colander out of pot and set in a bowl.
- Off heat, stir in reserved chicken and any accumulated juices, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons dil; season with salt, pepper and additional dill to taste.
- To serve, divide noodles between bowls then ladle soup over noodles and finish with a sprinkle of lemon zest and additional dill.
Serving Size: serves 4 as a full meal, 5 as a main dish with bread or sal.
Not cooking for weeknight? Consider dropping a Parmesan rind and a couple dried bay leaves into the soup as it simmers. For a cozier, more winter-y version, skip the dill and add some fresh thyme to the pot with the vegetables.
- Serving Size: 3 cups
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 751mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
Keywords: Easy chicken noodle soup, Healthy chicken noodle soup, quick chicken noodle soup, quick and easy chicken noodle soup, 30 minute chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup with dill, ground chicken noodle soup