Bold in flavor, savory and slightly tangy, this homemade red wine sauce makes an easy elegant dinner!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup grated onion*
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine (cotes du rhone, cabernet sauvignon or zinfandel)
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, plus more to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat pasta, such as spaghetti or penne
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and lightly browned, 5–7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until lightly golden brown, 1–2 minutes.
Stir in ½ cup red wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add remaining ½ cup and cook until reduce by at least half and a trail is left when a spatula is pulled through it, about 6 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and honey, bring to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Off heat stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil and basil; season with additional basil, salt and pepper to taste.
Store sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Store in resealable zipper-lock bags in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup sauce
- Calories: 113
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 371mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: red wine pasta sauce, homemade pasta sauce, red wine pasta