A creamy and savory sweet potato casserole topped with fried sage leaves and crunchy sourdough croutons.
- 2 ½ pounds medium sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups sourdough bread broken into craggy pieces
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil or avocado oil mayonnaise*
- ½ cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Heat oven to 350°F (176ºC) with racks set in upper-third and lower-third of oven. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place potatoes, cut side down on prepared sheet and prick skins with fork.
- Roast potatoes until very tender 1–1½ hours. Cool completely on sheets. Increase oven to 400°F (204ºC).
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high in a sauté pan until shimmering. Add sage and cook until starting to brown and crisp, 2–3 minutes.
- Transfer sage to a paper-towel lined plate. Add bread to remaining oil in pan and cook, stirring frequently, until crispy and golden brown, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in sauté pan over medium, add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop flesh from potatoes and transfer to a blender; discard skins. Add cooked shallots, mayonnaise, Parmesan, egg, Dijon, nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to blender with potatoes; blend until smooth.
- Transfer potato mixture to a shallow 1-quart baking dish, smooth top with a spatula then create some divots.
- Sprinkle sage and breadcrumbs evenly over sweet potatoes. Bake casserole on upper rack until top is golden and crisp, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle lemon zest over top and cool 10 minutes.
Recipe can easily be doubled to serve 12, in that case bake the casserole in a 2-quart baking dish.
Casserole can be prepped up to 1 day ahead of time. Leave the breadcrumbs and sage off until right before baking.
I prefer Sir Kensington’s Mayo here.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe I originally developed for Sir Kensington’s.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 368mg
- Fat: 18.5
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Keywords: Savory sweet potato casserole