Lean ground beef and a hearty amount of black beans keep this chili on the healthier side, while bacon and chipotles in adobo add just the right dose of decadence to keep everyone coming back for more.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped (optional *see notes)
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 1½ cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons minced chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons each chili powder and tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons each ground coriander and cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounces each)
- 1 can low-sodium beef broth (14.5 ounces)
- 2 cans low-sodium black beans (15 ounces each), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Reserved cooked bacon
- Diced onion
Cook bacon in a pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pot.
Heat reserved drippings (or 2 tablespoons olive oil) in pot over medium until shimmering. Add onions, bell peppers, chipotles, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, coriander, cumin, and oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high, add sirloin and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, 3–4 minutes.
Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove lid, stir in beans and water and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili is rich, dark, and slightly thickened. Stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with desired toppings.
Chili can be made up to 2 days ahead, just reheat in a pot on the stove over medium-low or in a slow-cooker on high.
Although delicious, the bacon is totally optional. If you choose to leave it out, use 2 tablespoons olive oil in place of the drippings in the second step of the recipe.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 449mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
Keywords: Dutch Oven Chili, Adobo Chili, chipotle adobo chili,