These vegetarian Chipotle Tempeh Tacos are smoky, spicy, and incredibly satisfying. The tempeh is marinated in a sweet and spicy sauce, gets baked to perfection, then is piled into tortillas with a fresh, crisp green apple slaw. This is healthy eating at its finest.
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 teaspoons honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon grated fresh garlic
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 cup julienned Granny Smith apple
- ¾ cup halved, and thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced jalapeño
- ¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Tortillas (corn if gluten-free)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Greek yogurt or cashew cream
- Lime wedges
Fill a skillet with 1-inch of water and add tempeh. Bring water to a simmer over medium heat and cook tempeh 12 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove tempeh, pat dry, then transfer to a cutting board. Slice tempeh in half lengthwise (into two thin halves) then cut each rectangle into 16 bite-sized pieces.
Whisk oil, chipotle, adobo, lime juice, honey, garlic, and salt together; add tempeh pieces and toss to coat. Cover tempeh and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or up to 24, stirring occasionally.
Heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange tempeh on sheet in an even layer, and bake until tempeh is caramelized and deep golden brown, about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
Whisk together 2 tablespoons lime juice, vinegar, oil, honey, 1 teaspoon lime zest, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage, apple, onion, jalapeño, parsley, and cilantro; toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
Lightly toast tortillas over an open flame on stove top or under broiler just until warm and charred on both sides. Scoop slaw into tortilla, arrange 4–5 tempeh pieces over slaw, top with avocado slices, greek yogurt or cashew cream, and additional herbs. Serve with lime wedges.
Prep and cook time does not include marinating time. Allow for at least 2 hours marinating time, but the longer the better.
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 575mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Tempeh Tacos, Tempeh Tacos with Slaw, Vegan Tempeh Tacos, Tempeh Tacos with Avocado, Chipotle Tempeh Tacos