With fresh greens, toasted whole grain bread, and crunchy fennel, this Asparagus Panzanella Salad screams spring in every possible way. Simple to throw together, and full of flavor, this salad is perfect for a weeknight dinner topped with an over easy egg, served alongside grilled fish, or packed up for a potluck or backyard get together.
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and bias sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups torn seedy whole-grain bread (staled)
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh spinach, arugula, or mustard greens, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- ½ cup green onions, bias sliced into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup lightly packed parsley leaves, roughly chopped
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, Dijon, and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
Blanch asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water until crisp tender, immediately strain and transfer to a bowl of ice water. Once asparagus is cool, drain.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium, add bread and toast until golden brown on all sides, 2–3 minutes.
Add asparagus, toasted bread, beans, spinach, fennel, onions, and parsley to bowl with vinaigrette; toss to coat then transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with fennel fronds and additional parsley, if desired.
Serves 4 as a main dish or 8 as a side dish.
Keywords: Panzanella, Healthy Panzanella, Spring Panzanella