- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent and tender.
- Add fennel seed and celery seed, sauté for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaf and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If you prefer your tomato sauce to be a little sweeter add another tablespoon of honey.
- Top with fresh chopped basil right before serving.
Store refrigerated in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.