- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- ⅛teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1–2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent and tender.
- Add fennel seed and celery seed, sauté for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaf and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If you prefer your tomato sauce to be a little sweeter add another tablespoon of honey.
- Top with fresh chopped basil right before serving.
Store refrigerated in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.