Featuring roasted mushrooms and chickpeas, whole-grain gluten-free sorghum, miso and a handful of spices, these vegan mushroom veggie burgers are as satisfying as they come.
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can chickpeas (14.5 ounces), rinsed and drained
- ½ an onion, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ cups cooked sorghum, such as NuLife Market
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos (or Worcestershire sauce if you aren’t vegetarian)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Hamburger buns *gluten-free if needed
- Caramelized onions
- Mayonnaise (vegan if needed)
Heat oven to 350℉. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Toss mushrooms with 1½ teaspoons oil and ½ teaspoon salt on baking sheet; arrange in a single layer on two-thirds of the sheet. Roast mushrooms until liquid starts to release, 10 minutes. Add chickpeas to remaining third of the sheet and continue to roast until mushrooms have halved in size and chickpeas look dry and cracked, 20 minutes more.
Meanwhile, pulse onion, celery and garlic together in a food processor until minced, about 10 pulses. Heat 1½ teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are deep golden brown, about 12 minutes; transfer back to food processor and wipe skillet clean.
Add roasted mushrooms and chickpeas, sorghum, miso, Worcestershire, paprika, chili powder and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to food processor with onion mixture; pulse mixture until a paste forms, about 20 pulses. Add sunflower seeds and pulse just to combine.
Form veggie burger mixture into six ½-inch-thick patties (4 ounces each), pressing firmly to compact the mixture.
Heat 1½ teaspoons oil in now empty nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering, add half of the patties, and cook until sides are brown and crispy, 4 minutes per side. Transfer burgers to a plate and let rest 5 minutes before assembling.
Repeat with remaining 1½ teaspoons oil and veggie patties.
- Serving Size: 1 veggie patty
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: Mushroom Veggie Burger, vegan veggie burger, gluten-free veggie burger