These Chinese Turkey Lettuce Wraps are saucey, flavorful and so satisfying.
Make the most of turkey leftovers in these healthy lettuce wraps that have bold, complex flavors from five-spice powder, orange marmalade, ginger, serranos and more. Plus, they only take 30 minutes to come together!
For the Pilaf:
- 2 cups cooked pearled sorghum grain (or grain of choice such as brown rice or quinoa)
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup minced scallion whites
- 2 tablespoons minced serrano chiles
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or bone broth
- 6 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups chopped cooked turkey (about 1 pound) or chicken
- 2 ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup sliced scallion greens
- 1 savoy cabbage, leaves separated
- 2 cups sliced asian pears
- Sliced serrano or fresno chile and sliced scallions for serving
For the pilaf, combine sorghum, cilantro, scallions, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the filling, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium. Add scallion whites, serranos, ginger, and garlic and cook until softened, 2–3 minutes. Stir in five-spice and cook 30 seconds.
Deglaze pan with broth then stir in marmalade and soy sauce and cook until thickened and syrupy, 6 minutes.
Stir in turkey and celery and cook until heated through, 1–2 minutes. Off heat stir in scallion greens; season with salt and pepper.
Spoon pilaf and filling into cabbage leaves, top with pear slices, scallion greens, and serrano slices; serve.