A creamy, luxurious broccoli soup that’s thickened with potatoes, not cream. It’s healthy, satisfying, and packed with flavor. Top it all off with cheesy “everything” spiced croutons for an extra dose of flavor.
Creamy Broccoli Soup:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli stalks, tough skin removed and tender interior diced
- 2 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh lemon zest
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Everything Spiced Cheesy Croutons:
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat bread
- 2 cups tiny broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅔ cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- 4 teaspoons Everything spice blend (purchased or see recipe below)
For the soup:
Heat butter and oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high. Add broccoli stalks, potatoes, onions, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Sauté vegetables until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes.
Stir in broth, Dijon, and zest, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F for the croutons.
Off heat, purée soup with an immersion blender, or purée in batches in a standard blender. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; keep warm until ready to serve.
For the croutons:
Toss bread and broccoli florets with olive oil then arrange in an even, compact, layer on a baking sheet. Combine Cheddar and everything spice, then sprinkle over bread and broccoli. Transfer to oven and bake until bread is toasted and cheese has melted, 6–8 minutes.
Top servings of soup with croutons.
To make this meal dairy-free: use 3 tablespoons olive oil in the soup instead of 2 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
To make this meal gluten-free: use gluten free bread for the croutons.