This healthy whole wheat banana bread is easy to make and takes just a few simple pantry ingredients. Made with olive oil and whole wheat flour, this banana bread is also naturally sweetened with honey.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (7 ¼ ounces; 204 g)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (from 2 large, very ripe bananas)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Heat oven to 350°F.
Coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides; coat paper with nonstick spray.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
In a separate bowl, mash bananas until very smooth. Add eggs, honey, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Add the flour mixture to banana mixture and mix just until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and bake until dark brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55–60 minutes, rotating halfway through baking.
Let bread cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Turn bread out and let cool completely on wire rack.
Make banana bread into muffins:
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners; divide batter between muffin cups.
- Bake muffins until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centers come out clean; 18 minutes.
- Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Make banana bread vegan:
- Use maple syrup, coconut sugar or brown sugar instead of honey.
- Use 2 flax or chia eggs instead of regular eggs.
- Make vegan buttermilk using non dairy milk and vinegar, and use in place of regular buttermilk.
Equipment you’ll need:
- 9×5-inch loaf pan
- Wire cooling rack
- Parchment paper
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Keywords: Whole wheat banana bread, Olive oil banana bread, healthy banana bread, naturally sweetened banana bread