This delicious soup recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. A simple ingredient list and easy process gets this one-pot meal on the table in 30 minutes. Enjoy a bowl of this Sausage Kale White Bean Soup with a piece of crunchy, cheesy Parmesan toast.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- Kosher salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 2 fennel bulbs, fronds reserved
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale, stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 9 cups)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Parmesan Toast, optional
- 6 thick-cut slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium.
- Add onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes; cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook, crushing with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and browned, 6–8 minutes. Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- Meanwhile, quarter fennel bulbs lengthwise, then slice into ½ inch-thick slices (you should get 4–5 cups). Add fennel and garlic to pot and cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over medium and cook until fennel is nearly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile make Parmesan Toasts. Heat broiler to high with rack set 6-inches from element. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Flip bread and top with Parmesan, dividing cheese evenly between toasts. Broil toasts until Parmesan is melty and starting to brown, 2–3 minutes; set aside.
- Stir kale, beans and milk into soup; cook until kale is wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar and season with additional salt, red pepper flakes and vinegar to taste.
- Serve soup with Parmesan toast and reserved fennel fronds
If you’ve got a Parmesan rind floating around in the fridge or freezer, plop that in as the soup simmers. It will infuse the broth with salt, savory goodness.
Nutrition of 2 cups soup + 1 full cheesy toast: 527 cal, 25g fat, 10g sat fat, 54mg chol, 1300mg sod, 45g carb, 9g carb, 7g sug, 32g pro
- Serving Size: 2 cups soup
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 5.5g
- Sodium: 1063mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Keywords: Sausage kale white bean soup, White bean and sausage soup, Tuscan white bean soup, White bean and kale soup, Italian white bean soup, White bean kale soup