This easy vegan eggnog is rich, creamy and flavorful. Made with simple, healthy ingredients like cashews, coconut milk, almond milk and dates, this egg-free and dairy-free eggnog is a healthy alternative to the decadent holiday drink.
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) good quality full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 2 cups good quality almond milk or other non-dairy milk of choice (I like Califia)
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 30 minutes or up to overnight, drained
- 6–8 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- ¼–½ cup brandy, rum or bourbon (optional)
Gently open chilled can of coconut milk, taking care not to shake it, and scoop solid coconut cream off top; transfer cream to a high powered blender and discard remaining liquid (or reserve for another use).
Add almond milk, soaked and drained cashews, dates, vanilla, rum extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt; blend on high until completely smooth, 3–5 minutes. Strain eggnog through a fine-mesh sieve (optional).
Serve immediately as is, or add some brandy, rum or bourbon.
Eggnog will keep up to 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Small bits of coconut cream will harden as it is refrigerated so I recommend enjoying this homemade eggnog slightly warm.
Equipment you’ll need:
- High powered blender
- Fine-mesh sieve
Why “good quality” coconut milk and almond milk?
Cheap coconut milk can have a grainy texture while good quality coconut milk has a creamy, buttery texture which is perfect for this eggnog. I like 365 Everyday Value coconut milk.