Say goodbye to strawberry and rhubarb, blueberry and rhubarb is the new favorite fruit combo! This pie is both sweet and tart, easy to make and perfect with a scoop of ice cream.
- a double recipe of Flaky Pie Dough, chilled
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup granulated sugar + more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh lemon zest + 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoons Simply Organic ground nutmeg
- Pinch Simply Organic ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca, ground
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten
Roll one dough disk out into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Gently transfer dough round to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Gently ease and press dough onto bottom and up sides, letting excess hang over side. Loosely wrap dough-lined pie plate with plastic and chill until dough is firm, about 20 minutes.
Roll second dough disk out into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Punch out ½–1 -inch holes (reserving rounds for decorating, if desired), or cut into 1-inch strips; transfer dough round to a parchment lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and chill 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400° with rack set in lowest position.
Combine blueberries, rhubarb, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom in a large bowl. Add tapioca and toss to combine.
Transfer filling to chilled dough-lined pie plate; sprinkle butter evenly over filling.
Gently place remaining dough round over top of filling (or create a lattice top). Trim overhang to ½-inch then tuck edges under and crimp using thumbs and pointer fingers.
Brush dough with egg wash; transfer pie to freezer and chill until dough is firm, about 45 minutes (skip this step if using frozen fruit).
Transfer pie to a baking sheet and bake until crust is light golden brown, 25 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 350°, rotate baking sheet, and continue to bake until crust is golden brown, 30 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over top of crust and bake until crust is deep golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool completely, at least 2 hours.
- If you’re using only frozen fruit, increase the baking time by 30–45 minutes. If you’re only using one of the fruits frozen, increase the baking time by 30 minutes.
- For a sweeter, more blueberry-forward pie, use wild blueberries (if you can find them). They often come frozen and add a ton of flavor!
- For a flavor twist use lime zest and juice instead of lemon.
- Make it lower in sugar: cut back total sugar from ¾ cup to ½ cup.
- Make it vegan: skip the egg wash and use your favorite vegan pie crust or swap the butter in the dough recipe for vegan butter.
Equipment you’ll need:
- Pie plate
- Food processor or pastry blender (pie dough)
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 341mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Keywords: Blueberry Rhubarb Pie, Rhubarb Pie, Fruit Pie, Summer Pie