Making pickled red onions is easy and quick! A delicious addition to sandwiches, burgers and more, these quick pickled onions only require 4 ingredients (all of which are pantry ingredients) and take only a couple of minutes to throw together.
How do you store pickled red onions?
The best way to store pickled red onions is in a glass container, fitted with a lid, in the refrigerator. Glass Ball jars are a great option.
How long do pickled red onions last?
Stored in the refrigerator, homemade pickled red onions can last up to 2 months. Although they are best within the first month.
How do you make pickled red onions?
There are three basic components to making pickled red onion.
- red onion (are you surprised?)
- slice onions in thin rings
- I prefer using white distilled vinegar because it gets the job done and is a nice blank slate, allowing you to add whatever flavorings you'd like. You can also use red or white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or rice vinegar.
- Flavorings (optional)
How do you serve pickled red onions?
- Add them to your favorite burger, like these Turkey Burgers or Veggie Burgers.
- Serve them on these Greek Nachos.
- Add them to sandwiches such as these Turkey, Peach & Basil Sandwiches.
Pickled red onions are quick and easy to make and are a delicious addition to sandwiches and burgers!
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
Place onions in a medium bowl.
Combine vinegar, honey, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and pour over onions.
Let sit at least 30 minutes before using (the longer they sit the better), or transfer to a glass jar with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 2 months
Equipment you'll need:
- Mandoline (optional, although it makes easy work of thinly slicing onions)
Ingredients you'll need:
- Red onions
This post contains affiliate links, thank you for supporting the brands that ZK loves!