Time for another Recipe ReDux Challenge! Here’s this month’s theme: Taco Tuesday
So show us your healthy, creative take on the taco.
When it comes to weeknight dinners — or really any meal — tacos are at the top of the list. The endless options and versatility of a taco dinner stave off any potential boredom, plus it’s a great excuse replenish my avocado stores shall they be depleted.
Although I do love chips, guacamole, and a good margarita, I decided to take these tacos an Asian route for something a little different (versatility, see?). I wanted to create a light and satisfying taco that wasn’t weighed down by the heavy flavors of soy sauce or hoisin.
A fresh cabbage and pear slaw tossed with a buttermilk dressing keeps the flavors clean and simple in these tacos. Then crispy tofu, coated with ginger and cardamom, add just the right amount of spice. Piled into charred tortillas and topped with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, these tacos are good-for-you-, feel-good-food.
- For the tofu:
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut or avocado oil
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the slaw:
- ½ small green cabbage, shredded
- 2 Asian pears, julienned
- ¾ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
For the tacos:
- 9 six-inch (flour or corn) tortillas, charred
- Lime wedges for serving
- Arrange tofu in a single layer on a paper-towel-lined sheet pan, top with more paper towels and another sheet pan. Place a heavy weight (or a few cans) on top and drain 15 minutes, switching out paper towels once.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together cardamom, 1 teaspoon salt, ground ginger, and white pepper in a large bowl. Add tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a cast iron or oven-proof skillet over medium. Add tofu and cook, stirring and flipping, until all sides are golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and cook until tofu is firm and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- For the slaw, whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, lime juice, Dijon, vinegar, and grated ginger; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together cabbage, pears, scallions, celery, cilantro, and sesame seeds. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Char tortillas on both sides over a low flame. Scoop slaw onto each tortilla and top with 3–4 cubes of crispy tofu. Serve with lime wedges.