Two beloved cocktails—Aperol Spritz and Margarita—come together to create the Aperol Margarita, a fun and refreshing cocktail that’s as delicious as it is stunning!
Inspiration for the Aperol Margarita
This Aperol Margarita has a bit if a tiki flare to it thanks to it’s gorgeous color and mild almond flavor. It’s inspired by a drink called the Dead Man’s Handle from Miss Carousel in Houston. At Miss Carousel, the drink is made with tequila blanco, Aperol, lime juice, orgeat and Tajin. I stayed pretty close to the original version, but instead of orgeat (an almond syrup which proves to be harder to find than you might think) I use a quick almond simple syrup that’s to die for.
If you can find orgeat, by all means, use that! I just figured if it was a struggle for me to find it, it might be a struggle for you as well. Plus, the almond simple syrup is SO easy and made with pantry ingredients.
What you’ll need for this margarita
- Orgeat or homemade almond syrup (sugar, almond extract, orange blossom water)
- Tequila Blanco
- Crushed Ice
- Tajín or margarita salt
- Rocks glasses
- Cocktail shaker
What is Aperol?
Aperol is an Italian apéritif that’s low in alcohol content and is both slightly sweet and slightly bitter with notes of both orange and rhubarb. It’s the main ingredient in the Aperol Spritz, but that’s not the only cocktail you can use it in!
5 cocktail recipes that use Aperol
- Classic Aperol Spritz
- Basil Daisy
- Paper Plane
- The Amen Corner (similar to a paper plane)
- Waterproof Watch (twist on the negroni)
Not into the Aperol Spritz? You’re not alone.
Cocktail recipes you may also like…
- Rhubarb Margarita
- Chocolate Orange Negroni
- Charred Jalapeño Margarita
- Blood Orange & Ginger Boston Sour
- Our stunning Cherry Margarita is a must-try if you like margs!
Make sure to tag me @ZESTFULKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM or tag #zestfulkitchen on social media if you make a recipe!
And if you’re a cocktail lover like I am, be sure to follow along on Instagram where every Friday I share a new cocktail recipe!
Don’t forget, if you make this Aperol Margarita, leave a comment and rating below!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can click the button on any of the photos, or the red button on the bar below the recipe. Cheers!
- 3 ounces blanco tequila
- 1 ½ ounces Aperol
- 1¼ ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounces orgeat, or almond syrup as follows
- Crushed ice
- Tajín, for garnish
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Fill two rocks glasses or stemless tulip glasses with crushed ice.
- Add 3 ounces tequila, 1½ ounces Aperol, 1¼ ounce lime juice, and 1 ounce orgeat to a cocktail shaker filled with ice, secure lid, and shake vigorously until thoroughly.
- Strain margaritas into prepared glasses. Finish with a light sprinkle of Tajin and serve.
- For the syrup, bring ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan until sugar has dissolved. Off heat, stir in 1 teaspoon almond extract; let cool.
I made this drink exactly per the recipe using trader vic’s orgeat syrup. I didn’t have takin so I used marg salt. Fantastic drink that looks amazing
Hi Steve, I’m glad to hear the orgeat syrup worked well! Thanks for giving it a try, I’m happy you liked it!
Orgeat is not hard to aquire. It’s a bar basic if it serves Mai Tai’s or other “tiki” drinks
Bartender here, for homemade orgeat mix equal parts simple syrup & almond milk with a few dashes of orange blossom water ♡ I’ve made something similar (with agave) and it was a great cocktail – excited to try this out with orgeat! Thanks for sharing!