Give the classic Gin Basil Smash a summer upgrade with the addition of fresh blackberries! This stunning cocktail is vibrant, refreshing, and herbaceous.
The Gin Basil Smash is a modern yet classic cocktail, making its debut in the summer of 2008 in Hamburg Germany by Jörg Meyer. Meyer originally named the cocktail the Gin Pesto—fitting.
The classic Gin Basil Smash Cocktail
Refreshing and herbaceous, the Gin Basil Smash is the ideal summer cocktail. If you want to keep things classic, try the original recipe from Jörg Meyer.
He uses a lot of basil—which I love. But for some it can be a bit much. Try it first with 6 basil leaves, then add or subtract in your next round of cocktails depending on your preference.
- 12 basil leaves
- 2 ounces gin
- ¾ ounces fresh lemon juice
- ⅓–¾ ounces simple syrup—depends on how sweet you like your drinks
How to make a Blackberry Gin Basil Smash (step-by-step photos)
1. muddle the blackberries and honey together until jammy.
2. add the basil and muddle until fragrant.
3. add the gin and the lemon juice.
4. secure the lid and vigorously shake until the cocktail is thoroughly chilled.
Variations on the Gin Basil Smash
Aside from the recipe I’m sharing today, feel free to put your own spin on this refreshing cocktail! Switch up one or two (or all!) components of the drink with these ideas:
- Herbs: thyme, rosemary, mint, tarragon
- Liquor: vodka, tequila
- Citrus: lime, grapefruit
- Simple syrup: honey, maple syrup, agave
Barware you’ll need…
- Cocktail shaker—I prefer a good ‘ol restaurant shaker (aka Boston Shaker) over the very classy looking shakers with a lid (Cobbler shaker). Why? They’re far easier to use and create less mess. Once you get the hang of using a Boston shaker, you’ll never go back to the Cobbler shaker and the constant struggle of a stuck lid. I prefer a classic Boston shaker with a metal cup and a glass cup, but you can also find tin-on-tin Boston cocktail shakers with two metal cups.
- Collins glasses (or rocks glass)
- Fine mesh sieve
- Shot glass
More cocktail recipes you may like…
Make sure to tag me @ZESTFULKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM or comment below if you make this Blackberry Gin Basil Smash!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can click the button on any of the photos, or the red button on the side bar or below the recipe. Cheers!Print
The best of summer comes together in this herbaceous gin cocktail made with blackberries, basil, and fresh lemon juice.
- 8 blackberries
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 8 large basil leaves
- 4 ounces gin
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- Chilled club soda
- Blackberries and basil leaves for garnish
Add blackberries and honey to a cocktail shaker and muddle until jammy. Add basil and lightly muddle until fragrant.
Add gin and lemon juice, fill shaker with ice, secure lid, and shake vigorously until thoroughly chilled. Strain into a Collins glass filled with ice and top off with a splash of club soda.
Garnish with blackberries and basil leaves.
Originally published 6/23/2017