A new definition of cheesy eggs is here! These crispy cheesy eggs will change your breakfast routine. Imagine this—fried eggs featuring a savory frico (cheese crisp) layer. This recipe will no doubt become a regular breakfast routine.
Why I Love this Recipe
The simplicity of this recipe is where the beauty lies. Simple ingredients and a tried-and-true cooking method combine to create something totally new yet very familiar. Frico (melted, cooled and crisp pools of cheese) add salty crunch to the already perfect egg. If you love fried eggs and you love aged cheese, these crispy eggs are for you!
- Olive oil: any oil will work, but I mostly cook with olive oil for its flavor. Nonstick cooking spray doesn’t work as well.
- Large eggs: it’s important you use large eggs here—adjust cooking time as needed for different sizes. (Small eggs=less cooking time; larger eggs=more cooking time.)
- Grated parmesan: I find grated Parmesan cheese works better than shredded (I like Sartori). Shredded sharp Cheddar also works well.
- Nonstick skillet: although this isn’t an ingredient, it is an important piece of equipment. I haven’t tested these in cast-iron skillet, but it should work fine!
How to Make Cheesy Crispy Fried Eggs
- Preheat a nonstick skillet for a few minutes.
- Add a splash of oil and brush to coat the pan (I like to use a pastry brush).
- Crack two eggs into the skillet and cook 1 minute. Don’t forget to season them with salt and pepper!
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the eggs and allow the eggs to cook about 30 seconds before flipping and cooking for 1 to 1½ minutes. You’ll know they’re done when the cheese is golden brown and crisp and the egg yolks are still soft.
- If you prefer firm or hard yolks, add cheese to the second side, flip and continue to cook until the second side is golden brown and crisp and the yolk is firm.
How to Serve Cheesy Fried Eggs
- Top the eggs with chopped chives or scallions.
- A simple salad, steamed broccoli, or a piece of toast is a great addition. I personally love a bowl of dilly-peas on the side!
- Whip up a breakfast salad.
- Make a breakfast sandwich! Serve these cheesy eggs on toasted English muffin with slices of avocado and fresh spinach. Hot sauce is always a delicious addition.
- Serve them alongside this Savory Citrus Salad.
- Serve over fried rice. Add bacon or sausage and you’ve got breakfast fried rice!
Looking for cheesy scrambled eggs? Check out these migas breakfast tacos.Print
Fried eggs just got a cheesy upgrade!
- Olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat a nonstick skillet for 5 minutes over medium.
- Add a splash of oil and brush (or swirl) to coat
- Crack eggs into skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook 1 minute.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan over eggs (scant tablespoon each) and cook 30 seconds more.
- Flip eggs and cook until cheese is golden brown and yolks are still soft, 1–1 ½ minutes.
- Nonstick cooking spray doesn’t work as well as oil. If you end up using nonstick spray make sure you use quite a bit.
- Large-sized eggs are important. Cook for less time of using small or medium eggs.
- Grated sharp cheddar also works well here.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (2 eggs)
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 0.5
- Sodium: 770mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 332mg
Keywords: crispy fried egg, crispy egg, cheesy eggs