This Chicken Enchiladas Verdes recipe is packed with lean protein, veggies, and a creamy salsa verde sauce, making it a great go-to for dinner.
- 1 recipe Roasted Salsa Verde (or 1 large jar purchased salsa verde), divided
- ¾ cup light sour cream, divided plus more for serving
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 ¾ cups shredded Chihuahua cheese or Pepper Jack cheese, divided
- ¼ low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8–10 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- Avocados, cilantro, lime, and/or hot sauce for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack set in middle position.
Combine ¾ cup salsa verde and ¼ cup sour cream. Add chicken, kale and 1 cup cheese; season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup salsa verde, remaining ½ cup sour cream, and chicken broth; set aside.
Brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil; stack tortillas top of each other on a plate. Cover tortillas with a slightly damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
Spoon ⅓ cup chicken mixture onto a tortilla, slightly off-centered. Roll tortilla around filling and place, seam side down, in baking dish. Repeat filling and rolling with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.
Spread reserved salsa verde-sour cream mixture over filled tortillas and sprinkle evenly with remaining ¾ cup cheese.
Bake enchiladas until cheese is melted, bubbly and starting to brown, 15–20 minutes. For a golden brown top, turn oven to broil and broil for 2 minutes (optional).
Top enchiladas with cilantro and serve with remaining salsa verde and additional sour cream, if desired.
Recipe is saucier than pictured.
Chihuahua cheese is also sometimes called quesadilla cheese.
I like to use super-thin corn tortillas for a lighter option.
- Serving Size: 2 ½ enchiladas
- Calories: 572
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 774mg
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 46g
- Cholesterol: 133mg
Keywords: enchiladas verdes, Chicken enchiladas verde, Salsa verde enchiladas