A simple green salad mixed with creamy avocado, crunchy pistachios and fresh mint comes together beautifully with a simple grapefruit vinaigrette. Delicious and versatile!
These past few weekends have been filled with celebrations, grill-outs, moving, and nights exploring all that Des Moines has to offer. With that comes eating out and many decadent meals. A fresh salad packed with a ton of flavor is exactly what I have needed and this one doesn’t disappoint.
Avocado, edamame, and toasted pistachios offer a trio of textures while fresh mint brightens the combination of arugula and salad greens. A simple vinaigrette is all this salad needs and citrusy grapefruit juice is the perfect starting point. Honey adds a touch of sweetness while cardamom brings a slight warmth to the vinaigrette.
This salad makes for a perfect appetizer or side salad, but topped with grilled chicken or tofu and this would be a fantastic weeknight entrée.
Here’s to hot weather and cold meals!
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- For the salad:
- 4 cups mesclun salad greens
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 avocado, diced
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
- ¾ cup shelled edamame
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios, toasted, and lightly chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- Whisk together grapefruit juice, oil, vinegar, honey, cardamom, salt, and pepper.
- Toss together mesclun, arugula, avocado, scallions, edamame, pistachios, and mint in a large bowl with vinaigrette.