My mom, Lori, is very much a rule following and recipe following lady. But every once in a while (more often than not, honestly) I find her forgetting a step, modifying a step, throwing some of this in, tossing some of that in, because, “how much have I measured already?” seems to ring through the kitchen on a regular basis.
This recently occurred while she was making a batch of her highly sought after spiced nuts. So if you’re anything like Lori, I can’t tell you how these will turn out, as they are a bit different every time. The good thing about being like Lori, everything always turns out delicious.
These nuts are a perfect holiday gift or appetizer for this time of year. Make sure to set some aside for yourself because these go quick! This recipe has been modified from Ellie Krieger’s Spiced Mixed Nuts recipe from her book “The Food You Crave”.
Mom’s Spiced Nuts
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw pecans
- ¾ cup roasted, salted, shelled pistachios
- ⅔ cup raw cashews
- ⅔ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ⅜ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 325°F and coat two baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix until combined.
- Divide nuts evenly between baking sheets and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20—25 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until toasted and golden brown.
- Cool nuts on pans and transfer to airtight container.
- Keep up to a week at room temperature or up to two weeks refrigerated.