I guarantee this Sweet Potato Bread recipe will become your new go-to quick bread. It’s flavorful, lightly sweetened, incredibly moist, and even healthy! It’s made with 100% whole-wheat flour, naturally sweetened and made with heart-heathy olive oil.
What is Sweet Potato Bread
Sweet potato bread is a quick bread recipe that utilizes quick-acting leaveners, such as baking soda and baking powder. Using these quick-acting leaveners allows you to bake bread immediately. Think banana bread but instead of the banana we’re using mashed sweet potatoes.
Watch How to Make Sweet Potato Bread
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Bread
Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
For recipes that are more delicate, like a quick bread or cake, I like to use whole-wheat pastry flour. It’s lighter and finer than regular whole-wheat flour and makes for an easy swap with all-purpose flour.
Baking Soda & Baking Powder
The combination of these two leaveners is important for giving the bread lift and keeping it light.
Coconut Sugar or Granulated Sugar
I prefer coconut sugar over refined sugars (white sugar and brown sugar) because it’s far less processed. Coconut sugar does have a lower glycemic index which means it’s metabolized slower in the body and causes a lower and slower rise in blood sugar levels. If you don’t have coconut sugar, you can also use granulated sugar.
I prefer to use extra-virgin olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Not only is olive oil more flavorful, but it’s far healthier than canola or veg oil.
Buttermilk is important for keeping this bread nice and moist and also activates the baking soda.
This recipe uses pureed sweet potato (you’ll need to roast and mash a tater prior to making this recipe). The sweet potato adds natural sweetness, flavor and moisture to the bread, much like mashed banana or pumpkin purée would.
Make sure you’re using large eggs (should measure about ¼ cup each or 50 grams).
Dried ginger, salt and nutmeg are the perfect mix of spices for this bread, but feel free to add your favorite warm spies like cinnamon, allspice and/or cloves. I also add dried rosemary for a flavor surprise.
These are optional, but I like the pop of sweet-tart flavor they add.
I like to add a sweet and salty crunchy topping to this bread. It’s totally optional but makes the bread in my opinion. The topping is made with raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds), raw sunflower seeds, oats, turbinado sugar and flaky sea salt.
How to make sweet potato bread
Aside from whipping up a sweet potato purée (which is totally hands-off), nothing is out of the ordinary here. Follow the visual step-by-step guide below for perfect sweet potato bread!
Step 1 & 2: Preheat oven to 350 ºF (177ºC). Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients.
Step 3: Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until it starts to come together. There should still be pockets of dry flour.
Step 4: fold in dried cranberries just until combined.
Step 5: Transfer batter to prepared baking pan and smooth top. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
Step 6: bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
More Quick Bread to Love…
Healthy Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 ¾ cups (180g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sweet potato purée (click for recipe)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut sugar or regular cane sugar
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary optional, crumbled
- ½ cup dried cranberries
Grain and Seed Topping
- 1 tablespoon raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F (177ºC) with rack set in middle position.
- Coat a 8½ × 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sweet potato purée, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, and rosemary.
- Add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture and mix just until combined; fold in cranberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Combine seeds, oats, turbinado sugar, and sea salt; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake bread until dark brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55–65 minutes.
- Let bread cool completely in pan set on a wire rack.
This recipe and article were originally published on October 16th 2019.