Tommy’s Margarita is the most straight-forward margarita recipes you can make. It’s incredibly clean in flavor thanks to it’s simple, unfussy ingredient list. This margarita recipe without triple sec allows the tequila to shine through and makes for a refreshing, tart drink. All you need is three ingredients—tequila, lime juice and agave.
About Tommy’s Margarita
Tommy’s Margarita was created by Julio Bermejo for his family’s San Francisco restaurant, Tommy’s, in the late 1980s. Julio is widely known in the cocktail and tequila communities for his vast knowledge of tequila and the creation of Tommy’s Margarita (which now can be found on menus all around the world).
At the family restaurant, Tommy’s Margarita is made with just tequila, fresh squeezed Persian limes and agave instead of triple sec.
- Tequila: we like to use tequila blanco to make Tommy’s Margarita. It’s clean and smooth in flavor—perfect for a stripped down variation on the margarita. As we always say, the “best” liquor to use in cocktails is one you enjoy. Our go-to tequila is either Cazadores or Don Julio.
- Lime Juice: fresh citrus juice is key to a good margarita! To get the most out of your limes, look for limes that have a smooth skin and are slightly soft when squeezed.
- Agave Syrup: use light agave or blue agave syrup. Avoid dark agave syrup as it will add too deep of a flavor.
A Margarita Without Triple Sec
Is it possible to make a margarita without orange liqueur? This recipe for Tommy’s Margarita proves that it’s possible!
Orange liqueur such as triple sec, cointreau, or grand marnier, add orange flavor and more importantly, sweetness. Swapping orange liqueur out for agave syrup adds sweetness without muddying the flavor of the lime and tequila. Agave is also thin enough that is mixes seamlessly into the cocktail.
More Margarita Recipes to Try
One of our favorite margaritas is this Italian Margarita. It’s made with a trio of citrus juices and a splash of amaretto. It’s deliciously addictive for sure!
In the summer, whip up our Maíz Tierno or Sweet Corn Margarita.
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 1 ½ ounces fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce agave syrup/nectar
- Kosher or flaky sea salt
- Add 2 ounces tequila, 1 ½ ounces lime juice, and ½ ounce agave to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice, secure lid, and shake vigorously until thoroughly chilled, about 15 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass rimmed with salt and filled with ice.