There’s no better time to celebrate vegetables than at peak season when Farmer’s Markets are brimming and produce is stunning. This month’s Recipe ReDux challenge called on us bloggers to experiment with the preparation of fruits and vegetables.
In response, I decided to showcase golden beets in a new form alongside gorgeous purple and orange carrots. Often roasted, beets don’t usually have a chance to shine in their raw form. But julienned and tossed with a creamy-yogurt dressing, they offer an earthy sweetness to this dish.
I call for tarragon and parsley in this salad, but dill could easily be swapped out with tarragon for a different spin. Before serving, give the salad a taste and season with additional herbs if desired. This is a great make-ahead dish as it gets better with time. A few hours in the refrigerator allows the flavors to meld and the beets to soften a bit.
July 2016 Recipe ReDux Challenge
With produce galore, now’s a great time to enjoy lots of fruits and vegetables. Show us how you’re serving the bounty of gardens and orchards in shapes like ribbons, noodles, cut-outs, or other creative cuts.
Golden Beet & Carrot Salad
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5–6 cups
- 1 lb. beets, peeled and julienned
- 1 lb. purple and orange carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or dill
- ¼ cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine beets, carrots, shallots, parsley, and tarragon in a large bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, zest, juice, vinegar, and honey; season with salt and pepper. Toss with salad to coat and season with additional salt, pepper, and parsley.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.