This grain-free bread is anything but boring. Made with a mixture of nuts and seeds it’s packed with flavor and texture and is incredibly satisfying. In addition to being grain-free, it’s also gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and even keto-friendly! The whole works.
This grain-free bread is:
- Keto (leave the maple syrup out)
- Dairy free
What is grain-free bread made of?
Grain-free bread can be made in a variety of ways with a variety of ingredients. There are many recipes out there designed to replace or be used in the same way as sliced sandwich bread.
Many of those recipes are made with a combination of almond flour and coconut flour and there’s definitely a time and place for those. But in my opinion, I would rather capitalize on the fact that something is grain-free, instead of covering it up and trying to make it something it’s not.
Which brings me to this particular recipe. It’s unlike most grain-free breads you’ve probably had before. It’s packed with nuts and seeds and uses only a bit of almond flour to bring it all together.
Here’s the rundown of ingredients:
- Sunflower Seeds
- Almond Flour
- Hemp Hearts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Golden Flax Seeds
- Whole Psyllium Husk
- Chia Seeds
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup (optional)
How to make grain-free bread
Good news, there’s no kneading or proofing required to make this bread! It’s basically a stir-together-dump-and-bake kind of bread. It’s even easier than a quick bread!
- The first step is to toast the sunflower seeds and almonds. It’s a simple step, but it adds massive flavor to the end result. If you don’t have time, or forget to toast it’s no big deal, just add them raw! (If you like things salty, you can also use dry-roasted and salted sunflower seeds, just be sure to skip the toasting step.)
- Next, combine the dry ingredients (nuts and seeds) in a large bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients, then pour over the seed mixture and stir to combine. The mixture will become thick and moldable.
- Spread the dough into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Flip the bread out of the loaf pan and place it on a baking sheet. Return bread to the oven and bake 20 minutes more until all sides are golden brown and crisp.
This bread is paleo- and keto-friendly
If you’re looking for a bread that’s paleo and keto-friendly you’re in the right place! I love this recipe because it’s hearty, satisfying and full of vitamins and minerals. It’s the complete opposite of nutrient-void white bread. Praise!
This paleo bread is lightly sweetened with maple syrup—which really acts to balance out all of the flavors. If you follow a keto diet, simply leave out the maple syrup or use a nonnutritive sweetener.
Is grain-free bread healthy for you?
Like with anything, it depends on the recipe. But if you’re looking for something healthy, I’ve got you! The short answer—yes this grain-free bread is healthy for you.
The biggest reason this recipe is healthy is because it’s made with ingredients that are full of plant-based protein, healthy fats and fiber. Other grain-free breads are made with nut flours, eggs and milk. They aren’t unhealthy per se, but they also don’t add a variety of nutrients to your diet like this recipe does.
How to serve this grain-free bread
Ah! There are so many options for serving this paleo bread. First and foremost, before topping the slices I like to toast them until golden brown and crisp on both sides. To do this I use the broiler or a toaster oven.
- Top slices with plain cream cheese and chives.
- Spread Dijon mustard over slices and top with deli ham and sharp Cheddar. Broil the slices until cheese is bubbly and melted, then top with capers and an over easy egg.
- Serve toasted sliced with butter and creamed honey.
- Spread salted butter over toasted slices and dust with powdered sugar.
- Top with mashed avocado slices and sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning or top with diced tomatoes, jalapeños, salt and pepper.
- Sauté slices in butter and maple syrup in a skillet until caramelized on both sides.
- Spread sweetened ricotta over slices and top with berries or caramelized apples or bananas.
You may also like…
Make sure to tag me @ZESTFULKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM or comment below if you make this grain-free bread!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can click the button on any of the photos, or the red button on the side bar or below the recipe. Happy baking!Print
Hearty and full of texture, this grain-free bread is unlike anything you’ve probably had before! It makes a great breakfast or snack and can be enjoyed savory or sweet.
- ¾ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup almond flour (3 oz.; 84g)
- ¾ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup golden flax seeds
- ½ cup whole psyllium husk
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- Topping ideas: plain cream cheese, fresh chives (as photographed), butter, honey, sharp cheddar, ham
Arrange sunflower seeds and almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet; transfer to oven and roast until seeds and almonds are lightly toasted, golden and fragrant, 8–10 minutes. Transfer toasted seeds and almonds to a large bowl with almond flour, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, psyllium husk, chia seeds, salt and pepper; toss to thoroughly combine.
Whisk together water, oil, and maple syrup in a liquid measuring cup; pour water mixture over seed and nut mixture and stir until mixture is thoroughly combined and a thick cohesive dough comes together. Scoop dough into prepared loaf pan. Press dough down to fill pan then smooth top into an even layer. Bake bread until top is golden brown and center has slightly puffed, 45 minutes.
Remove pan from oven and lift bread out of pan by pulling up on the parchment paper. Flip loaf over and place, bottom facing up, on parchment lined baking sheet. Return bread to oven and bake until top and edges are golden brown, 20 more minutes.
Remove from oven, flip loaf back over and let cool completely.
To serve, toast slices on a baking sheet under a broiler (or in a toaster oven) until golden brown, 3–4 minutes per side. Top slices as desired.
Recipe adapted from Pompeian’s Olive Oil Seed and Nut Bread.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 152mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: grain-free bread, keto bread, paleo bread,
This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting all things ZK!