This Strawberry Bourbon Smash gives the classic Bourbon Smash a fruity upgrade. In addition to the fresh chunks of lemon, muddle fresh strawberries and thyme as well. Together, these flavors are a perfect pairing. To take it even further, add a splash of ginger liqueur for sweetness and a warm undertone.
Lemons – just a few wedges is all you’ll need per cocktail.
Strawberries – two medium strawberries per cocktail. If your strawberries are ripe and sweet, consider skipping the maple syrup. If they aren’t very sweet, you may need to adjust with an additional ¼ ounce of maple syrup.
Kosher salt – a touch of salt is important to add to cocktail, especially sweet-tart drinks like this one. It also helps release the juices of the fruit while muddling.
Whiskey – a good rule of thumb for cocktails—use a whiskey you like but not one that breaks the bank. Save the really nice stuff for sipping neat or on the rocks. We like bourbon here, but any whiskey will do.
Ginger liqueur – look for the brand Domaine de Canton. It’s the best ginger liqueur and can be used in a variety of other cocktails. It’s pricey, but you can also use it in these Carrot Margaritas or this Blood Orange Boston Sour. Our Blood Orange Mimosas and Spiced Pear Margaritas also use it.
Maple Syrup – just a dash is needed to balance out the tartness. You can also use simple syrup.
Tips for Making Strawberry Bourbon Smash
- it’s important to shake this cocktail REALLY well. Not only does it chill the drink, but it will melt the ice a bit and perfectly dilute the drink. Since this isn’t getting served over ice, you want to make sure it’s slightly diluted before serving.
More Whiskey Cocktails to Try
We’ve got tons of whiskey cocktails—here are just a few of our favorites.
- If you like a whiskey sour, then be sure to try out New York Sour! And if you like smoky cocktails, try this Smoky Mezcal Whiskey Sour. Beware—it’s boozy!
- For a classic smash, try our Bourbon Smash recipe. Then try our Best Old Fashioned.
- Enjoy the flavors of a hot toddy, just served over ice with this Cold Whiskey Toddy. It’s so full of flavor and perfect for the first few weeks of fall.
Strawberry Bourbon Smash Recipe
- Add lemon wedges, strawberries and a pinch of salt to cocktail shaker and muddle until juices are released, about 15 smashes.
- Add thyme sprig and muddle to release flavor, about 10 smashes.
- Add bourbon, ginger liqueur, and maple syrup; fill shaker with ice, secure lid and shake vigorously (you want that ice to melt a bit!) until chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Strain cocktail into a coupe or Nick and Nora glass; garnish with thyme and serve!