An all-American classic—the Blue Cheese Wedge Salad. Wherever you stand on the iceberg lettuce debate, it’s hard to deny how delicious the combination of crisp lettuce, creamy dressing and crunchy toppings is.
This Blue Cheese Wedge Salad is a bit lighter than most, featuring a healthy Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing and fresh veggies. I opted to leave the bacon off, but you of course can add it!
How to clean iceberg lettuce for wedge salads
It can be a bit confusing to figure out how to clean a head of iceberg and keep it intact for wedge salads. Here’s how I like to clean iceberg lettuce for wedge salads:
Step 1: hold head of lettuce, stem side down. Gently, but firmly, slam stem end against counter or sink.
Step 2: using your hands, push and pull the core to remove and discard it.
Step 3: run water into head of lettuce where core once was; tip and let water drain out completely.
Is iceberg lettuce good for you?
Iceberg lettuce is not packed with nutrients. But it’s also not bad for you. When it comes down to is, iceberg lettuce is essentially water. Although it contains very few nutrients, it’s low in calories and adds a nice refreshing crunch to salads. So if you like it, by all means enjoy it! Just think about adding some dark leafy greens to your diet.
How to make a wedge salad:
There really isn’t a salad that’s simpler or easier to make. Preparing the lettuce is even easier than most! Here are the general steps:
- Cut iceberg lettuce into wedges.
- Drizzle lettuce wedges with dressing.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, scallions and parsley.
- Optional: add some bacon for a smoky crunch (it’s very classic!)
- Season with salt and pepper and finish with a little extra blue cheese.
Try these toppings too:
- Bacon, pancetta or prosciutto
- Diced cucumber
- Minced red onion
What if I don’t like blue cheese?
Use your favorite ranch dressing to try some of these creamy dressings:
Then finish the salad with chunks of Parmesan or Pecorino instead of blue cheese.
How to serve blue cheese wedge salad
A wedge salad can either be serves as a side dish or main dish. Below are some ideas for both.
Serve as a side dish with:
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Breast
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled Boneless Pork Chops
- Pasta alla Puttanesca
- Juicy Turkey Burgers
- Grilled Triple Herb Chicken Skewers
Serve as a main dish by:
Make sure to tag me @ZESTFULKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM or comment below if you make this Blue Cheese Wedge Salad!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can click the button on any of the photos, or the red button on the side bar or below the recipe. Happy cooking!
Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup diced tomato
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Core and quarter iceberg lettuce; arrange on a large serving platter.
- Drizzle blue cheese dressing over lettuce then sprinkle tomatoes, green onions, parsley and blue cheese over top; season with salt and pepper.