Healthy Banana Milkshakes! This 5-ingredient recipe for healthy milkshakes is straightforward, easy and absolutely delicious. No ice cream needed! Instead, frozen bananas and a scoop of nut butter create the most dreamy texture and blend of flavors in these dairy-free milkshakes.
Ingredients in Healthy Banana Milkshakes
- Frozen ripe bananas
- Creamy drippy natural nut butter. Make sure to use natural nut butter that only contains nuts and salt.
- Dark chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract
- Milk of choice. I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but feel free to use whatever milk you prefer.
- Add a scoop of cocoa powder to make a chocolate banana shake. Top with whipped cream and/or chocolate syrup for the ultimate treat.
- Add a scoop of cocoa powder and use peanut butter to make a chocolate-peanut butter milkshake.
- Skip the chocolate chips and use vanilla bean paste instead of extract to make a vanilla milkshake.
- Leave out the chocolate chips and add frozen strawberries to make a strawberry milkshake.
- Swap the nut butter for a scoop of coconut butter and use peppermint extract instead of vanilla to make a mint-chip milkshake.
- Skip the chocolate chips and add frozen peaches to make a peaches and cream milkshake. For added decadence toss in a splash of half-and-half.
- Make this shake a bit sweeter by using sweetened almond milk, chocolate milk or adding a splash of maple syrup.
- Add Greek yogurt for a boost of protein and calcium. Or add a scoop of protein powder for more protein.
Tips for Making the Best Healthy Milkshakes
- Pulse everything but the milk together until chopped. With the blender running, stream in the milk. This creates a super smooth milkshake without it super melty.
- Chill the glasses you intend to serve the milkshakes in prior to blending them up. Cold glasses keep the milkshakes chilled longer.
- The most convenient way to prep bananas for freezing is to peel ripe bananas then slice ½-inch thick. Arrange slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet or plate and freeze until solid. Transfer slices to a zipper-lock bag and store in the freezer until ready to use.
- A high powered blender is ideal for making these homemade milkshakes. If you have an under-powered blender I recommend slightly thawing the banana slices first. Just let them sit at room temperature for 5–10 minutes until they start to soften. A food processor will also work well for these.
If you give this healthy milkshake recipe a try, be sure to let me know what flavor you make! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @zestfulkitchen on Instagram. I love hearing about and seeing your ZK creations!Print
5-Ingredient Healthy Banana Milkshake
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 small milkshakes or 1 large 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Silky smooth naturally sweetened chocolate banana milkshakes! A quick, easy, plant based dessert everyone will love. Mix and match the flavor add-ins to make a variety of milkshakes.
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced and frozen (about 2 ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy nut or seed butter, such as almond, peanut or sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips or chunks
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk of choice, such as unsweetened vanilla almond milk, coconut milk or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Pulse bananas, nut butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla together in a high-powered blender or food processor until chopped.
With blender running, stream in milk, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
Blend until completely smooth with small chocolate chunks, about 1 minute.
For a chocolate milkshake, add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder to the bananas and nut butter.
If you don’t have any ripe bananas on hand ready to be frozen, you can find frozen banana slices in the freezer section of your grocery store.
- Serving Size: 1 small milkshake (½ of the recipe)
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Healthy Milkshake, banana milkshake, chocolate banana milkshake, dairy-free milkshake